Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 147: Liquor as a culinary experience




Im at that place in life where I don't drink to get drunk, but if it happens as a bi-product of a nights fun, then I'll take it. I've always been the type to drink what I thought tastes good. As opposed to looking at the proof first, and then selecting a bottle. It all started as a joke. I found a new brand of rum. As we had zero plans for the day, I took the time to read the packaging and saw that it was produced in Guatemala. Perfect I thought as I grabbed it. Didn't even know alcohol was a "cash crop" of the central American country. I brought it home with intentions of taunting Diana and making a brown mojito to carry me through the upcoming nights UFC fights. This was different however. My favorite drink is Bombay sapphire and tonic. The only liquor I drink straight is Johnny Walker Black to Blue, and I stopped drinking rum in college. But like I said, it started as a joke, and turned into an experience. This was different as I pointed out. I started out testing this new rum with a few drops in a shot sized glass. Smelled it, like I was drinking wine and sipped it with a small pool of fluid already in my mouth. It was sweet, smooth,  and warming. It reminded me of a complicated carmel. Something I really had to think about to process. I've already been through the bacardi's, capt. morgan's, and Appleton's etc. But never had I ever experienced a rum like this. I can hear some thinking, seriously, whats the big deal. But I'm trying to conjure my inner foodie when I see, feel, and experience new things. So I bring to you Ron Zacapa Centenario. Aged 23 years, I seriously recommend trying this only on ice, straight up. It smells like rum raisin ice cream. Intoxicating with a slight feeling of guilt, as you would have after consuming a pint of said ice cream by your lonesome. It was delicious. So like I told my man Ron the other day, I'm bringing rum back. I'm bringing drinking back actually. But in the refined, adult, Billy D. Williams sorta way. And, I don't mean colt 45 and a perm. I'm talking Crystal carafe and high ball glassware. 
Salud.

Bonus Pic:

Obon is an annual Buddhist event for commemorating one's ancestors. It is believed that each year during obon, the ancestors' spirits return to this world in order to visit their relatives. At the end of Obon, floating lanterns are put into rivers, lakes and seas in order to guide the spirits back into their world. Traditionally, lanterns are hung in front of houses to guide the ancestors' spirits, obon dances (bon odori) are performed, graves are visited and food offerings are made at house altars and temples. During our visit to Okinawa, these Bon Odori dancers were everywhere. As we drove around, we could hear the banging of drums and chant like singing before seeing them performing in the street. It was quite the site.  

No comments:

Post a Comment