Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 199: Cook Marathon


In preparation for our visitors I've been trying out new recipes. Our girl Tee is vegan, and while I don't want her to feel like the standout for her dietary choice, I also don't want to do a lot of double the work cooking. So I spent the past couple days creating an efficient menu to get us through the week. 


First up I started with a tomato sauce to be used with pasta, Diana's famous meatballs, fried zucchini, and or eggplant etc... I moved onto a coconut brown rice, which turned out amazingly good. I figured we can have the rice with a shichimi spiced, mushroom, tofu, and kale soup. I then cooked up some red split lentils to which I added shallots and garlic (bottom left) which had been slightly browned in a scallion infused evoo (bottom right). This was going to be the vegan filling for the gyoza/dumplings (middle, left to right) I'd be making as another meal. While I was at it, I made a ginger-pork-scallion filling as well. Test batch of both turned out so well I surprised myself. A simple dipping sauce was made with a little sesame oil, cooking wine, and soy sauce. You can also do rice vinegar and soy sauce. Either one is a good choice. I also ended up making a singapore noodle soup since I was in my zone. It didn't take much time as the ingredients were simple, but effective. At the end on my cooking marathon, I sat back and looked at all the creations thinking, man, this vegan things ain't half bad. When you think outside the box, you can open yourself up to a measure of creativity that can make any bland idea seem out right tantalizing. 


If you haven't come to our house, its just a matter of time till you do. We like to have our guest feel like they're at home. I enjoy going the extra mile to make sure you're comfortable and you're needs, within reason, as attended too. I always wake up and make fresh coffee, omelets, cut up fruit. Whatever it takes. If you're in our house, you're family. So reap the benefits. 

3 comments:

  1. Bro-law I need recipes ASAP! Especially the kale soup and your split lentil dumplings. I have been transitioning to the vegan lifestyle. All of this looks AMAZING!!! I need to visit ASAP! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! just amazing you two are truly wonderful and as always amazing host. Everything looks so yummy.

    ~nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words Nikki! And I got ya on the recipes sis, I don't I could go completely vegan, so more power to ya!

    ReplyDelete